What is LEADING EDGE™ for Transportation?
Have you been looking for a way to get your foot in the door and become a money-making CDOT contractor? Do you want to successfully perform on all types of government transportation contracts? The Connect2DOT LEADING EDGE™ for Transportation course is a nine-week course tailored to business owners in the highway design and construction industry. The course builds on the award-winning LEADING EDGE curriculum and was customized by industry experts to help you determine the best growth strategy for your business to successfully perform on projects with CDOT and other USDOT-funded contracts.
By the end of the course, you will have an actionable business development plan in place and a solid understanding of course topics – including strategic planning, construction and managerial accounting, prime contractor marketing, estimating and bidding, and project management. You will also receive recognition by the Colorado Transportation Commission, CDOT Project Managers, and Prime Contractors!
What To Expect
- Peer learning with a group of businesses in the transportation industry
- One-on-one coaching from course facilitators and consultants
- Nine 3-hour weekly workshops starting Thursday April 15 including small group exercises, guest speakers, roundtables, and graduation ceremony
- Introduction to industry mentors and opportunities to connect with prime contractors, government agencies, and other resources
- Insight and feedback on your business development plan, financials, 3-year cash flow projection, industry market analysis, competition and marketing approach
- To graduate, you must complete a minimum of five hours of free one-on-one consulting and submit a completed business plan and evaluation form
- Chart Your Course: Refocus your mission, vision, goals, and core values.
- Show Me the Money: Understand your financial position and forecast cash flow projections for hiring, equipment acquisition, and expansion.
- Marketing Magnetism: Learn successful marketing strategies for small businesses.
- Mastering Government Contracting: Navigate certifications, target customers, bid opportunities, and the small business sweet spot for winning more contracts.
- Bidding to Win: Understand how much to charge and which tools and tricks can help you create more accurate bids (split session for A&E and construction)
- Operational Efficiency: Improve your systems and policies for HR, bonding, insurance, cybersecurity, and more.
- Meet the Primes: Get the inside scoop from CDOT, prime contractors, and local agencies on upcoming projects and how you can stand out from the crowd.
- Business Plan Reinvented: Summarize your business plan and receive 360-degree input from your coaches and peers to help refine your growth strategy.
- Graduation! Celebrate your success with family, friends, and peers and get recognized by program hosts including CDOT, CO SBDC Network, and more!
Preferred Eligibility (Others May Qualify)
- Primary line of business in highway design, construction, or other transportation-related industries
- In business 2+ years
- May have employees or may be working alone but planning to hire
- Minimum of $100,000 in annual sales
- Able to provide a balance sheet, statement of cash flow, income statement, and quarterly profit and loss statements for at least the last 2 years
- Eager to learn and committed to growing your business
- Certified DBE/ESB/MWBE/SBE companies preferred but all small businesses are eligible
Thanks to a CDOT Scholarship, registration is $200 if you register by March 10, 2020 and there is a 100% reimbursement upon graduation, so it could be totally FREE!
Course Dates & Location
This event is held virtually on Thursdays, April 15, 2021 – June 10, 2021 from 5:30 – 8:30 PM.